Search This Blog

Translate

Blog Archive

Middleboro Review 2

NEW CONTENT MOVED TO MIDDLEBORO REVIEW 2

Toyota

Since the Dilly, Dally, Delay & Stall Law Firms are adding their billable hours, the Toyota U.S.A. and Route 44 Toyota posts have been separated here:

Route 44 Toyota Sold Me A Lemon



Monday, December 25, 2017

My Gas Pedal Got Stuck Today..





My Gas Pedal Got Stuck Today...

I was merging on the freeway today and pressed hard on the pedal to pass a semi-truck with one of those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs.

Suddenly I felt the truck accelerating by itself with my foot off the pedal. It was accelerating like I was flooring it. Extremely hard acceleration!

Traffic was a little heavy so I was concerned I could rear-end someone. I got confused for 1 second trying to engage neutral. I know my shifter is not on the steering column, but somehow I thought it was for a second or two. I haven't driven a car with a shifter in the column for at least 20 years!

Finally I put the truck in neutral and the engine kept revving until it hit the red area on the tach and the limiter kicked in. I then engaged drive again and everything appeared to be normal and drove home. Scary stuff!

The truck is a 2006 access cab with the 2.7 four cylinder and 4 speed automatic that I purchased new. It has 146K miles now.

It has been a reliable truck with predictable acceleration.

I took it to the dealer and they suggested mat interference. I never did that recall. And yes I'm using an aftermarket all weather mat.

However, if the mat was the culprit then once I engaged drive again the engine should have kept accelerating. So I am thinking this could be a problem with the accelerator itself or the software.

I briefly looked at the pedal area when it was accelerating and the mat was placed correctly. This is a heavy mat that doesn't easily move...

I'm taking the truck in next week to do this and a couple of other recalls.


http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-tacoma-2nd-generation-2005-2015/1567146-my-gas-pedal-got-stuck-today.html


Vehicle Speed Control Problem on the 2006 TOYOTA TACOMA


File a Vehicle Safety Complaint



2006 Toyota Tacoma Vehicle Speed Control Service Bulletin 336678
Action Number: 10045140
Service Bulletin Number: 336678 Report Date: Jun 13, 2012
Component: Vehicle Speed Control
Summary: Toyota: accelerator pedal sensor assembly information regarding the inspection,
removal, and installation, if lubrication or oil, is applied. *pe


2006 Toyota Tacoma Recalls

--------------------------------------------
2006 Toyota Tacoma Vehicle Speed Control Recall 09V388000
Action Number: N/A
Service Bulletin Number: 09V388000
Report Date: Oct 05, 2009 Component: Vehicle Speed Control
Potential Units Affected: 4445056
Manufacturer: Toyota Motor North America, Inc.
 
Summary: Toyota is recalling certain model year 2004-2010 passenger vehicles. The accelerator pedal can get stuck in the wide open position due to
its being trapped by an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat.
Consequence: A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a
crash, serious injury or death.
Remedy: Toyota filed an amended defect report on november 25, 2009, stating that dealers will modify the accelerator pedal and, on certain vehicles,
alter the shape of the floor surface under the pedal. These changes address the risk of pedal entrapment due to interference with the floor mat.
Redesigned accelerator pedals will become available beginning in april 2010 and dealers will replace any modified pedal with the new pedal if
desired. Also, dealers will replace any genuine toyota or lexus all-weather floor mats with redesigned all-weather mats, or repurchase the previous
mats from owners who do not want the new ones. Additionally, software modifications will be installed on camry, avalon and lexus es 350, is 350 and
is 250 models that will ensure that the brake overrides the accelerator in the event both brake and accelerator pedals are applied. Toyota will begin
mailing letters to owners on december 31, 2009. Owners may contact toyota at 1-800-331-4331, lexus at 1-800-255-3987.
 
Notes: Toyota recall no. 90l/90lg. Owners may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-
4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www. Safercar. Gov>http://www. Safercar. Gov

No comments: